Sunday, June 15, 2008

News from around the world.....

Humboldt Fire threatens Paradise!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Have you ever had the thought 'Wow, this is just like in the movies!'? The last few days have been that way for me. Try as I might, something always came up when I wanted to go down the hill to Chico and look at flooring. Wednesday thru Saturday that 'something' was the Humboldt Fire. On Wednesday, my Mom and I had been to all three flooring stores in Paradise, when I was called in to work to help out. Thursday I was called in again. I was able to hang on to my one day off, Friday. (Jeri felt to guilty to call me in.) Then it was back to work for the start of my regular work week on Saturday. (Not that I mind being called in during an emergency. Other than with my family, there is no place I would rather to be if I had to be up here on the ridge, than right in the thick of the information; to be able to pass on the updates to my family) By Monday night, the fire was totally contained...
5 days
1,000's evacuated
23,344 acres burned
74 homes destroyed
20 more damaged
DC10 bomber (the only one in the United States)
2500 firefighters (THANK YOU!!)
over 50 law enforcement officers from outside agencies (THANK YOU!!)
$11.5 million to fight
$16.3 million in damages

Photobucket
Photobucket


THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CAME TO HELP DURING THE FIRE. The fire is out, with minimal damage to the Town of Paradise as a whole. Though not all of it's employees were so lucky. Linda G., one of our beloved Community Service Officers, lost her house in the fire. Linda Q, one of our beloved Fire Secretaries, also lost her house in the fire.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

DC10 helping to fight the fire...the only DC10 supertanker used for fire fighting, in the United States!
Photobucket
Photobucket

A break and some much needed rest.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


News from Hawaii!!

While we were facing evacuation, Brianne was sunning herself in Hawaii. The only picture she sent me was this one...
Photobucket
It's to bad she had to go all the way to Hawaii to learn to respect the scalding hot frijoles!


News from Ethiopia!!

Beth and Garrett received a referral for two beautiful little girls! I am SO happy for you two! We can't wait to meet your beautiful daughters!

No comments: